The XXIV off-track skiing world championship
Who can participate?
The competition is open to everyone. Men and women of all ages compete together.
Participants must complete following requirements:
- Is able to ski carrying a backpack weighing 15 kg for 10 h/day,
7 hours on ski track and 3 hours off-track
- Knows how to camp overnight outside in a lean-to
- Knows how to dress properly and keep warm, especially in subzero temperatures.
If competing alone, participant must know how to orienteer in all conditions and how to survive in the wilderness.
In a team competition one of the team members must know how to orienteer well and how to survive in the wilderness. All team members should have a good basic physical health and knowledge on how to survive outside in cold temperatures. You can practise with this training program.
Friday 5 February 2021
Information meeting at Pikku-SyÃ¶te, 7 p.m.
Overnight at Iso-Syöte
Saturday 6 February 2021
Start at 8 a.m. – 9.30 a.m.
Competition meeting for competitors in the open air
Sunday 7 February 2021
Start at 9 a.m.
Coach transportation to Pikku-SyÃ¶te.
Sauna and prize giving ceremony at Pikku-SyÃ¶te.
The size of a team is 3 – 5 persons. The first day of the competition is spent skiing through virgin snow to the scattered checkpoints of the orienteering section. This is followed by skiing along trails to the exercise checkpoints, totaling approximately 25 - 50 km. (medium track is 30 km) The mistakes on the exercise checkpoints as well as the points attained for the orienteering stage will affect the overall result for each respective competitor and group as they are carried over to the second day. The exercises will concentrate on traversing the wilderness safely in winter. The night will be spent outside by a campfire. The world championship results will be announced on the second day, after the off-track stage, totaling approximately 7 km.
- forest skis, length at least 2 meters, width max. 10 cm, boot bindings
- ski sticks
- boots to fit the bindings, and enough to keep one’s feet warm in up to -40
- appropriate clothing for skiing and rest to last subzero temperatures
- sleeping bag and canvas sheet or other form of shelter
- own food for two competition days
- dish for warming and consuming of food and drink
- axe and saw, sheath knife and fire making equipment. The firewood must be cut by you from large logs
- First aid equipment
- Compass, mechanical/traditional
- Map (provided by the organizer)
- Notebook and pencil
Medal and diploma
1 – 2 times:
Bronze medal and Off-track Skier diploma
3 – 5 times:
Silver medal and Off-track skiing Master diploma
6 – 9 times:
Gold medal and Off-track skiing Hero diploma
Gold medal and Off-track skiing Councilor diploma